November 14, 2012

'Twas The Night Before Mini 3

'Twas the night before Mini 3 and all through Sunset,
Not a med prep student was stirring, not even an activated platelet.
The book bags were sprawled all over without care, 
covering a desk that used to be bare.
 
The students were passed out sweaty in bed, 
while visions of med school danced in their head.
And the lizards were still and the pigeons were moanin',
And I closed my eyes to increase melatonin.
 
When out near the pool there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the patio I flew like a myelinated axon,
Tore open the door without any slacks on.
 
The haze from the moon gave a dim light
made the yard look like it was covered in tellurite
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a guy on a dirt bike; man I need a beer.

I came back inside, went back to bed.

The power stayed on, no sweat on my head.
The dreams, of the material, oh they did come.
As I vigorously stimulated my GABAnergic system.
 

And that's all we got folks. I'm sure Mr. Moore is appalled at what we did to his brilliant poem.

But it's sort of like Christmas Eve here.

Except there are no presents. Or games. Or family. Or snow. Or any type of fun actually.

But the anticipation is just as high. In just 13 hours Matt starts Mini 3. Four hours after that, he'll be done with MERP and onto Dominica.

I will no longer be able to call him a med prep student. As he will officially be a medical student.

He's been studying all day for the past few days. Walking around the apartment talking to himself, sitting at the table, on the couch, standing in the kitchen. Just anything to keep moving and stay focused.

Again, he feels pretty good about the test. He's worked hard leading up to Mini 3 so that there isn't a substantial amount of pressure on him to pass. But he is still going to work hard and get the most out of MERP as he can, as it is good preparation for Dominica.

Yesterday at about 8:30 p.m., the power went off. It was one last reminder of the amenities here in Freeport, and how we take reliable power for granted in the States. It was only off for a couple hours, so Matt finished up his studying by flashlight and candles.

He's going to finish up studying early tonight, so he can relax and rest his mind. He's talking about watching Storage Wars this evening, as this was his routine before Mini 2, and it certainly worked in his favor then. I don't know that I would recommend this study habit for everyone, though.

So, be thinking of us over the day or so. Here's to 15 weeks of MERP. Now, time to go wrap presents. And by wrapping presents I mean making dinner. Nope, still not as fun as Christmas Eve.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...