August 16, 2012

A Day in the Life

So you want to know what we do all day? Sure, we're in the Bahamas in the beautiful Caribbean, but we really don't have that much excitement going on. It certainly isn't an extended vacation - or even honeymoon in our situation.

Now that we've started to get a bit of a routine down, things are settling down a bit more which is great. During the week, we are usually up around 6:30 a.m. The first thing we do is turn on the AC unit in the living room. Since we have window units, and because the electricity is so expensive, we turn off the units when we're not in the room. So it so unbearably uncomfortable in the morning.

From there, I'll make coffee and pack Matt a lunch for the day while he showers. Then I'll get his breakfast. We watch a little bit of the South Florida news while he looks over the material for the day's lectures. He's off to campus around 7:15 a.m.

Here's a look at his schedule for the coming week. It will vary a bit week to week, but the timing is generally the same.


If there are breaks, he utilizes that time to study. He's also been in the open study rooms with a study group for the majority of the afternoons and early evening. Then he'll come around around 5-5:30 p.m.

Me on the other hand, once Matt leaves, I'll get cleaned up, get some breakfast and get ready to start my day. And then I go to work - in our office. If it's nice, I'll take my Kindle to the pool during lunch. But other than that, I'm here all day. Around 5 p.m. I'll start getting dinner around. Once Matt gets home, he vents a bit about the day, and then we get to spend dinnertime together. This half hour is about the only time we do get to enjoy each other's company without studying.

Then, I get everything cleaned up while Matt studies the rest of the night. I told you - not very exciting. But we certainly aren't here for vacation. Studying is his first priority so we can get to Dominica. And I'm here to support him and take care of the things that I can, so he can focus primarily on studying.

So on nights like tonight, it's after dinner and Matt is studying. I'm here blogging (obviously), and then after this, I'm going to take full advantage of our Netflix subscription. Mad Men here I come!

But first, here's a peak of what our dinner consisted of tonight! We've been hearing about the local avocados here from quite a few people, so I've been dying to try one. They are huge and are smooth and green on the outside. 




For dinner, I baked a couple chicken breasts and then topped them with fresh avocado. We also had green beans and mashed potatoes.

Matt loves avocado and was super excited to try it. And by the look on his face I think he liked it.




What a goofball.

I've got a couple of recipes I'm going to try this weekend, so I'm looking forward to that. You certainly do have to be creative when my utensils consists of dull knives, 1 cup measuring cup, and a split spoon. But we did finally break down and buy an actual baking pan and mixing bowls that can double as storage. Sadly we still forgot to get some hot pads.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...